Royal Victoria Eye & Ear Hospital
About Royal Victoria Eye & Ear Hospital
Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital was established in 1897 through the amalgamation of the National Eye hospital founded by Isaac Ryall in 1814 and St Mark’s Ophthalmic Hospital for diseases of the Eye and Ear founded by Sir William Wilde in 1844. Both hospitals were moved to a newly built Victorian building in its present site in Adelaide Road in 1904.
The hospital is primarily an ambulatory and elective surgery centre and the only stand alone two specialty hospital in Ireland. It is the largest centre for retinal and strabismus cases and the only centre for ocular oncology cases in the country.