Senior Sexual Health Nurse – Band 6/7
Title of role: Senior Sexual Health Nurse – Band 6/7
Contract type: Part-time (22.5 hrs per week/flexible)
Fixed-term to cover maternity leave (12 months)
Remuneration: Up to £48,256 pro rata
Location: London (various South London locations)
Reporting to: Medical Director
SH:24 is a Community Interest Company and innovative online sexual health service, delivered in partnership with the NHS. The service provides people with free STI test kits, information and advice – 24 hours a day.
SH:24 makes it easier for people to self-manage their sexual and reproductive health online, including getting tested for common sexually transmitted infections (STIs): chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis and HIV. The service is quick, discreet and completely confidential.
Service users move seamlessly between digital and physical services, with clinical excellence ensured through partnership with NHS specialist sexual health services.
The objective of SH:24 is to improve access to sexual health services while also realising efficiency savings through a more holistic, user centred service. The service is designed to be flexible around the needs of users, encouraging greater autonomy, both in making decisions about their care and in navigating their preferred route through services.
This is a unique role. SH:24 are seeking an experienced sexual health nurse to deliver care and advice remotely and play an integral part in the management of the service.
Remote communications such as the telephone, text messaging, and other online digital applications are used by SH:24 to engage and consult service users. Whilst close links with traditional NHS clinical settings will be maintained (fostered through strategic partnerships) this role represents a progressive shift in service provision to benefit both service users and the NHS alike.
The role will encompass all clinical communications with SH:24’s service users - remotely notifying service users of positive STI results and offering appropriate remote sexual and reproductive health support.
The role also incorporates the management of STI test kit distribution and clinical policies.
This role requires flexible working across sites. Depending on shift patterns, some out of hours work may also be required.
- Develop an understanding of service user needs; offer remote support and encouragement; provide sexual and reproductive health knowledge and skills to support and facilitate high quality, personalised care
- Remotely undertake sexual health histories and screening for sexually acquired infections via text messaging and telephone
- Remotely undertake contraception consultations via text messaging and telephone
- Undertake pre and post-test discussions with service users remotely, regarding STI testing and contraception using interpersonal skills to assess user understanding and eligibility for pre and post treatments/methods
- Inform users of their results remotely by (text messaging and telephone) and make appropriate decisions regarding the implications for the management of their care. Be able to discuss the meaning of these results for users and their sexual partners in a sensitive, non-judgemental and supportive manner. Offer emotional support to patients regarding the meaning of these results and refer to other members of the wider NHS multidisciplinary team (e.g. psychology services) as appropriate.
- Partner notification and sexual health promotion
- To adhere to policies on such areas as, ‘at risk groups’, vulnerable users, Child Protection and Fraser competencies in relation to sexual health and the under 16s and manage/signpost online
- Where appropriate, remotely assess and refer service users to partner agencies/services in emergencies (in line with SH:24 policy).
- Update and manage clinical procedures, in-line with the protocols of partner NHS clinics
- Assess all flagged users; those at risk, those who have yet to respond and those who did not attend
- Log reactive results according to SH:24 procedures
- Generate and track key performance metrics
- Liaise directly with the laboratory to track orders and confirm results
- Oversee and manage outgoing STI test kit distribution, inclusive of the SH:24 user record system and proactively track and manage all live user statuses
Quality, innovation and improvement
- Ensure that user experience is paramount by obtaining and managing user feedback to improve their experience of the service
- Provide sound clinical leadership and develop support mechanisms for sharing good practice
- Work closely with the SH:24 service development team to continuously improve the service; enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of the service for the benefit of service users and partner NHS clinics alike.
- Weekly liaison with partner NHS Trusts to update on progress, protocols and new initiatives/optimisation
Skills and competencies
- In-depth knowledge of sexual and reproductive health
- Intermediate or advanced STIF competency desirable or equivalent clinical experience
- Skilled in working with service users who present with complex needs
- An awareness of issues affecting young and vulnerable people and the ability to communicate comfortably and coherently with service users (particularly in matters relating to treatment, prevention, sexuality and personal relationships)
- Willingness to work collaboratively and contribute to the development of a new and evolving service
- Excellent listening skills
- Experience of successfully working in fast paced environments
- Experience of line management
- IT literate/competent and willing to learn how to use new systems
- Trustworthy, discreet and highly conscious of the importance of maintaining the confidentiality and integrity of personal information
- Acute awareness of information security issues and willing to comply with security requirements
- Intelligent and willing to share ideas on how practice and processes could be improved.
We are absolutely committed to ensuring that SH:24 users have the best possible experience. We are looking for people who are committed to delivering excellent care and who take pride in what they do.
We are looking for someone who shares our vision for a healthier population - a team player who wants to make a difference, someone who will fulfil a crucial frontline role.
The successful candidate will be part of a progressive, highly innovative team, benefiting from mentoring from senior clinical NHS consultants and specialist consultants in Public Health.